Parents/carers and indeed clubs often want to be able to celebrate and promote the achievements of their children through taking photographs or films whilst they are taking part in the sport.
Basketball NI does not advocate the banning of photography and the use of images and videos of children however, appropriate and proportionate safeguards must be in place to ensure a safe environment for children and young people.
Basketball NI follows, and recommends that clubs also follow, guidance from the NSPCC Child Protection in Sport Unit. Along with this guidance Basketball NI proposes each club/team take the following 3 step approach:
- Attain parental permission to use an image of a young person. This ensures that parents are aware of where and how the image of their child will be used to represent the club, event or sport
- We would suggest that this takes place during the registration process at the start of the season and any parents/carers/children who withhold approval are highlighted to coaches and the Club’s Designated Safeguarding Officer to ensure that their decision has been recognised and can be enforced by the club.
- Clubs who have not obtained parental consent prior to the start of the season are urged to have their Designated Safeguarding Officer (DSO) contact parents/carers and formally seek approval and provided the parents/carers with details of how the photos/videos are expected to be used.
- Attain formal permission from the opposing team(s) before a game. This should be done before each game as personal circumstances may have changed for some children/parents since the initial approval was granted.
- Remember to copy in the appropriate club officials including the Designated Safeguarding Office and Club Secretary to ensure that anyone who may be aware of a child or parent who may object to have the chance to raise any concerns.
- Also, remember to establish how the images/videos will be used, rights and ownership.
- Basketball Ireland have a form which could be used to provide a framework for approval
- Before the game commences the team, coaches should formally clarify approval, again in case of a change in circumstances, and the person(s) who are to take to photos/video should be identified.
- It is highly recommended that the person(s) have identification on display
- Do not allow unsupervised access to children or one to one photo sessions
- Participants should be informed of who to contact if they have any concerns during/after the event.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Basketball NI Safeguarding Officer